Life

Luna Landing!

shutterstock_127447856

I have a new arrival announcement!

No, the holiday sun, sea and shennanagins with The Mr hasn’t resulted in THAT kind of announcement (!) and our family is definitely complete with two kids, but we do have news!  And that name Luna that I always secretly kept for a second daughter?  It finally has a use!

You might remember earlier in the year THIS happened – and life would never be the same again!

Having grown up with cats as a child, I’ve never felt able to give one a home as an adult. I guess a gap year in Israel, then years travelling with TV shows and 3 years living in LA made for a pretty nomadic existence to an extent and I couldn’t see how our lifestyle would be fair on an animal.

And now, with my Breakfast Show on Heart and two children in school, life is a bit less nomadic so the search was on!

The cat who visited earlier in the year was part Bengal and super friendly, so I was quite keen to look at that breed. But after visiting some kittens and leaving with hives on the backs of my legs and itching all over (despite trying to hide the fact from Trey!) I realised I might have developed a cat allergy and the cat dream started to fade, especially given that Bengals are supposedly hypo-allergenic. Sad times!

THEN – my friend Kate mentioned that Russian Blue cats are actually the least allergic breed and the dream was back on!  The kids even made a countdown for the fridge…

But what to look for?  I asked some of my lovely blogger mates what THEY look for when choosing a kitten:

Alice from Life As Alice:
Check if mum looks happy and healthy as if she’s stressed it can affect her milk and the baby’s health. Also let the kitten pick you. Sounds hippy dippy but they pick you not the other way around FACT

Tanya from Mummy Barrow:
Clean is a must. Dirty bums are a big no no and sign of problems. And check if lively. Are they behaving like kittens? ie nutters !!!

Sandy from Baby Baby:
Use your instincts. If the mother or kittens look anything less than healthy, don’t risk it. There will be other kittens. Good luck.

Mari from Maris World:
I would follow my heart and the one that pulls my strings gets taken home. Have fun x

I fell at the first hurdle and made the big mistake of taking the kids with me and soon clocked that visiting kittens with kids is a bit like viewing a house in the summer sun! You want to say yes to pretty much every one you visit!  Several houses and lots of mileage and kittens later, we found our girl!

Meet LUNA!

Just about the most gorgeous kitten you could ever wish to meet!  We timed her arrival for the end of the summer holidays and the count-down has been on our fridge ever since we met her and this weekend we brought her home – just before school started again.

I say Luna. Her full name, according to the kids, is:

Lady Luna von Snugglemuffin 1st, OBE.  Yeah. Thank goodness for Luna!

IMG_6534 2

The first night she was mewing for her family which just about ripped my heart out, so I brought her into our bed!  Shhh…don’t tell! She took quite a shine to Trey and, even though he put a pillow on his head to drown out the noise, she found a way of getting close to him!

bedBut night 2 – not a peep. Happy as anything in her new home and just gorgeous – excited to see us in the morning and seeming pretty pleased with her lot! She already feels like part of the gang and the children are adoring her already. She’s the perfect combination of playful and cosy. Yay! I love a happy ending!  So thanks again for all your supportive messages earlier in the year.

It’s official.  I am a bit in love with Luna!

And apologies if you follow me on Twitter or Instagram.

Let the kitten spam commence!

• Reply Jenny @ thebrickcastle March 15, 2016 at 10:27 pm

That is one gorgeous kitten. And I think Alice might be right about them choosing you 😀

• Reply Katy March 22, 2016 at 9:05 am

So true! And yes – I am properly in love! xx

• Reply Miss Jade September 2, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Beautiful! I love kitties. My fiancé was never a cat person, yet he is the soppiest out of both of us now! I highly recommend a water fountain for her. Keeps the water flowing, and from stagnating as quickly.

• Reply Kate Roche September 2, 2015 at 10:39 am

She looks gorgeous… such a sweetie. Watch out though – they are an extremelly intelligent breed and she will soon have you wrapped around her little paws ;0) Adorable!

• Reply Sally Goodsell September 1, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Very cute…. We all love our cat to bits, he can be a bit grumpy and makes us work hard for affection but he’s a real character!

• Reply Schoolrunstyle Mum August 31, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Love this, we are just about to start the search for a cat, the kids and my husband are desperate for one and I must admit I do have a soft spot for them! Love the tips from your blogger friends, so useful, and such a good idea not to take the kids (I completely would have & no doubt they would have fallen for the first kitten too) Looking forward to seeing your kitten spam on Insta 😉 xx

• Reply Katy September 1, 2015 at 8:11 am

Ooh – best thing we’ve ever done! Biggest surprise has been the Mr who was the least keen of all of us – and now he’s ALL mush! x

• Reply Clare Goldsack August 31, 2015 at 5:16 pm

She’s absolutely gorgeous. Looking forward to the spamming xx

• Reply Katy September 1, 2015 at 7:58 am

Be ready!!! x

• Reply Mari August 31, 2015 at 4:26 pm

I’m I love too! What a beauty she is android what a fabulous name too.
    Really pleased for you all and looking forward to cute kitten photos on IG xx

• Reply Katy September 1, 2015 at 7:58 am

Thanks lovely! The kids are BESIDE themselves! x

• Reply (Mostly) Yummy Mummy August 31, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Oh my goodness she is adorable! x

• Reply Katy September 1, 2015 at 7:58 am

Thanks lady! I won’t be SO jealous of your furry friend on your Insta feed now! x

• Reply Yvette Southern August 31, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Hey Katy, your little Luna is beautiful. My first grandchild was born in March and her name is Luna. You have good taste. Have missed you on heart this past week xx

• Reply Katy September 1, 2015 at 7:58 am

SWEET! What a gorgeous name choice. And how exciting! Congrats on your first Grandchild! x

• Reply susankmann August 31, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Aww she is so cute. x

• Reply Katy August 31, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Thanks! I’m in love with those ears already! x