Katy Loves...

Retro Revival

shutterstock_190940561

Aside from that first week when we headed off to sunnier climes, we’ve been at home for most of the summer hols with Trey and me tag-teaming the childcare. It’s been amazing to have the quality time with the kids but we equally knew if we weren’t getting outside help with childcare we needed literal outside help with entertainment! 6 weeks is a LONG time – as I’m sure you know too well! *sends gin to all

Cue the Retro Revival!

Remember those days when you would spend hours as a kid, fashioning some kind of go-kart action, then launch yourself down the nearest incline without at care in the world?

Yeah, you remember of course. So did the people at ATK (All Terrain Kart). So they came up with THIS awesome beast for a bit of old-skool go-kart action! OMG! How much fun can one family handle?KARTFirst off, and this may seem like a small point but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the classic wood and green styling. As mum to both a girl and a boy, I can’t tell you how bored I get with our pink / blue world. Green is always my colour of choice and excitement was stratospheric when the kids clapped eyes on this bad boy!

We got the ATK Classic – suitable for age 7-14 years and perfect for my two with it’s padded move-able back rest, break and easy steering.  AND it came assembled. Yup. You heard correctly. A-S-S-E-M-B-L-E-D!

*pauses for effect

ATK have made a kart for all ages – including a Pro, the age range of which they give as 14-70! Loving that!  Remember how it felt to re-discover the joy of bike riding as an adult? Just wait till you get on a Go-Kart and I guarantee you won’t stop laughing from the top to the bottom of the slope! Best be hoping you did enough kegels my friend!

As you should for our second bit of old-skool fun.

A TRAMPOLINE!

I’ve long avoided getting one but then I came to realise that in the UK they’re kind of a necessity. Especially with a boy in the mix!

If we were blessed with blue skies year round, there would be endless possibilities when it came to ensuring our kids had enough exercise. But we don’t. And there aren’t.

Those chillier / darker evenings when they come home from school and you’re clock watching to see if you can put them to bed yet? Yeah, THOSE are the challenging evenings I’m thinking a trampoline will come into it’s own, when maximum exercise is needed in minimum time.

Step forward the Magnitude from Plum. We went for a big one because I figured it had the the best chance of remaining injury free.BLOGThe trampoline arrived in two boxes and took us slightly longer than the stated 2 hours to put together (possibly not helped by a vodka tonic break half way through!) but we managed to remain married throughout!  The kids helped by numbering and adding all the springs and couldn’t wait to bounce so tested it on the ground!  Seriously, that thing is already worth it’s weight in gold!  The kids go on it – from choice – every morning after breakfast in PJ’s.

Given that I had to bounce on a trampoline for my Blue Peter audition (and got extra marks for wearing a sports bra – true story!) I “might” even have tested my own prowess on there a few times!

• Reply Kate Gunn August 25, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Oh I’ve been eyeing up one of those trampolines for ages. We had to leave our old one behind when we moved and the kids still haven’t forgiven me!

• Reply Donna August 25, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Don’t know what we’d do without our trampoline. It’s even help me get my pelvic floor back (did I just say that out loud?!)

• Reply Emma (@emvanstone) August 25, 2015 at 7:59 am

Oh my gosh, I’m a bit in love with that Go Kart….

• Reply Michelle Twin Mum August 24, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Lucky, lucky kids. Our trampoline got smashed up in a storm and I still miss it! Mich x

• Reply Emma Bradley August 24, 2015 at 8:33 pm

our trampoline has been our greatest buy. ever – fact!

• Reply Boo Roo and Tigger Too August 24, 2015 at 8:27 pm

I long for a garden large enough to get a trampoline, fabulous way to wear out the children before bed then it’s the adults turn

• Reply Mammasaurus August 24, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Trampolines are the best – the single best purchase we ever made for our kiddos! That go kart looks fab too – ah the childhood memories!

• Reply Katy August 24, 2015 at 6:57 pm

OMG lady – yours would LOVE. that kart! X

• Reply Cass@FrugalFamily August 24, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Our trampoline is our best purchase ever for the kids – my two are 12 and 10 and spend hours out there on it. It’s one of the only things left that they do together without being forced!

• Reply Katy August 24, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Ah – I’m loving it! Can’t believe we waited so long! X

• Reply Actually Mummy August 24, 2015 at 11:08 am

LOVE that go-kart! And what a great age range. I usually find that anything for the kids ends at 10 – older children get a raw deal in the toy market I think, unless it’s gaming-related. We’re just back from a campsite holiday in Holland and all the kids and teens were zooming around on similar karts. My kids were desperate to have a go. I can imagine you’ve had a fab summer!

• Reply Katy August 24, 2015 at 11:19 am

TOTALLY with you on the older kids thing. And, like you, I’m always challenged with finding things for an age gap – so these have been BEYOND perfect! x

• Reply Amy W August 24, 2015 at 7:49 am

They both look like so much fun! My daughter is only 21 months so I have all this to come!

• Reply Katy August 24, 2015 at 11:18 am