Katy Loves...

Spring Dream

On Heart Breakfast this morning

I was excited to announce that today the UK was set to be hotter than Portugal!

Which means it’s official – it’s happening – Spring is here and it’s my favourite time of year.  I LOVE it!

I love the smell of blossom that catches me, unexpectedly.

I love the sea of yellow fields which surround me on my country drive home from work every day.

I love the way it makes us all feel so free!

This time of year makes me want to fling all my windows open in preparation for what’s to come.

So when Homebase asked if I fancied pimping my house for Spring, it seemed the perfect excuse to finally do all those little jobs to freshen life up:

DRESSING TABLE ….

Trey bought my dressing table for me when we first got together and it’s been through many house moves but it no longer matches our style in our bedroom.  So it was time for a change!

DRESSING1Never one to shy away from a bit of spray paint action, I armed myself with a gorgeous silver and set to work.  There are honestly few things in life I find more tedious than sanding, just ask Trey!  My apparent allergy to all things rough-paper makes him crazy but seriously, life’s too short.  I’m all about the reward of the big change and thankfully, not much sanding was necessary before I was ready to spray.

Four cans later and I’m so pleased with the result and am having a renewed love affair with my beloved dressing table.

dressing2HEART OF THE HOME….

I love my kitchen.  It looks out onto the garden and I love the fact that the kids can sit and chat to me about their day while I make dinner.  There’s one particular corner which had a bistro table but the chairs were too heavy for the kids to move.  So I’ve finally changed them!

kitchenThese  were super quick to put together and have wipeable cushions – perfect for an 8 and 5 year old who love art projects!  AND they’re fairly light so the kids can easily move them.  Good times!   Part of the kitchen that didn’t work has now become a place for the kids and it’s fast becoming their favourite cosy corner hangout in the house!

TREY HEARTS ME BECAUSE….

heartsErrr… NONE of the above actually!  Because like many other halves, he tolerates, but will never understand….

Candles – especially the smelly variety.  He doesn’t “get” them. I do. And I LOVE these that I picked up!  They smell DIVINE!

Hearts – Trey has actually said that if another heart comes into the house, he’s off!  So I got clever and got some hearts for the garden!  Simples!  The kids love these moroccan inspired solar beauties that I’ve strung across the front of their playhouse.  They shine surprisingly bright – literally, like you’ve plugged them in.  I loved them so much, I’ve filled the garden with those and some gorgeous ball shaped. I’m looking forward to a summer of entertaining in my fairy-light Wonderland!

Cushions – A girl can never have enough, right?  Trey loves the fact that he has to remove 1000 cushions before he can get into bed every night (he doesn’t!) so I decided to pimp our sofa with these gorgeous flock offerings – they even have tassels on the corners for an extra bohemian vibe.

FULLY VINDICATED….

To placate Trey for my indulgence in the above (!) I got him some cool storage boxes and a retro bin for his man cave!  He now thinks I’m the best wife ever and I’ve been vindicated of all previous candle / heart / cushion sins!

MANCAVEI now feel like my house “works” and I’ve sorted things that used to bug me before.

How about you?

What effect does Spring have on your world and how have you been getting ready?

• Reply Aid May 26, 2015 at 4:21 am

The metallic looks so good. I love spring as well and I think it is almost a must to change our homes in the spring, if not now then when. It is a new season , vitamin D is in the air, energy is just floating around waiting to be grabbed and be transformed into something we can see everyday in our homes. What better way, what better time.

• Reply Katy May 30, 2015 at 7:47 am

Ooh – what a lovely way to look at life! x

• Reply HonestMum May 21, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Love how small changes can make big differences. I adore our kitchen too, it’s the heart of the home and leads onto the playroom and garden. The dressing table looks stunning x

• Reply Katy May 30, 2015 at 7:47 am

Thanks lady x

• Reply Ninjacat May 14, 2015 at 10:01 pm

OOOH what pretty things and that dressing table .. if you ever feel like giving it away 😉

• Reply Katy May 30, 2015 at 7:47 am

Haha! Get that paint! You know you want to! x

• Reply Clare Goldsack May 13, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Oh Katy, seeing your dressing table made my day. My Mum had the very same one and the stall and two matching wardrobes. It was the first thing my parents bought for their first home together from Whiteleys in Bayswater. It was only after a burst pipe and a terrible flood a few years ago that Dad had to change it all. I love your revamp of it. I love Spring too, it makes me want to have a good old de-clutter and make things tidy. Started today with the girls’ bedrooms! Enjoy the lovely weather 🙂 Cx

• Reply Katy May 14, 2015 at 9:47 am

Best. Story. Ever! Love that it brought back lovely memories xx

• Reply Mum of One May 13, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I WANT your dressing table! So pretty. Love that retro bin too.

• Reply Katy May 14, 2015 at 9:46 am

Thanks! I’m SO pleased with how it turned out! x

• Reply Emma May 12, 2015 at 10:36 am

Wow, the dressing table looks great and I love the look of your garden playhouse.

My house is driving me completely crazy at the moment as we have too much clutter, so I’m on a desperate clear out mission!

• Reply Katy May 14, 2015 at 9:46 am

You’re so right! De-cluttering is THE BEST! x

• Reply Becky May 12, 2015 at 7:19 am

oh katy I do like the look of those solar lights

• Reply Katy May 12, 2015 at 10:35 am

They’re my current obsession! x

• Reply Otilia May 12, 2015 at 6:18 am

That dressing table looks AMAZING! I wish I had where to put one in my home. I love spring! It’s my favourite season!

• Reply Katy May 12, 2015 at 10:35 am

Mine too! x

• Reply Lulastic May 11, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Ah, spring, it is the BEST season! Love it so much and does fill you with a desire to start afresh in lots of areas. Your house is looking super marv x x

• Reply Katy May 12, 2015 at 5:42 am

Thanks lady. I properly love Spring! It’s full of promise! x

• Reply Nikki Thomas May 11, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Ooh I love your dressing table, that is really clever. Some lovely ideas there too. I agree that spring makes me want to give the place a new look too and a really good clean too.

• Reply Katy May 12, 2015 at 5:41 am

So true! I’m all about the cleaning too. LOVE this time of year! x

• Reply Carolin May 11, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Spring is the season for change, isn’t it? I always feel like redecorating or doing little DIY projects when the sun comes out and I don’t even know why. Could it be because you think of garden parties and inviting lots of friends round, you think?

• Reply Katy May 11, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Haha! I think you’ve hit the nail on the head! No DIY pun intended! Socialising could well be the key! x

• Reply Jennifer May 11, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Your dressing table looks amazing, what a difference! And the heart solar lights are brilliant, I’ve never seen hanging solar lights before, I might have to get some for our summerhouse. Spring always inspires me to get out in the garden, do some weeding and start planting things.

• Reply Katy May 11, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Ooh – the lights are fab! And only £10. I’m so used to solar lights just glimmering but these are like you’ve flicked a switch! x

• Reply Domestic Goddesque May 11, 2015 at 7:51 pm

I have discovered a similar technique with DH: he forgives all unauthorised purchases if I let him buy as many axes and chainsaws as he likes. At least that’s what I tell myself. He looks pretty happy when out restocking the woodpile (why does everything to do with wood sound euphemistic?)

• Reply Katy May 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Haha! I love that I’m not the only one playing the game! Although I’ll keep this hidden from Trey – he’s got an axe but no chainsaw… YET! x

• Reply Cass@frugalfamily May 11, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Your dressing table looks amazing – I would never have thought to spray paint it in a metallic finish but it really works!

I’ve been trying to do odd little jobs around my house too and have just painted a pair of bedside cabinets that had been bugging me for ages – they were ugly pine and now they’re a lovely cream x

• Reply Katy May 11, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Thanks so much! I knew the metallic silver was a bit brave (!) but it was a gamble that paid off! Embracing my inner footballers wife, clearly! x

• Reply Mummy Barrow May 11, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Spring is definitely here. I have done more in the garden this weekend than I have done in years. And cleaned the garage door, and painted furniture.

Today I bought new pegs as that is the real sign that summer is with us, I can safely peg out loads of washing. Each year I treat myself to a new set of pegs and a new peg basket. This year I realised I have a system and might have OCD issues about pegging out my washing.

LOVING that dressing table. Looks like a brand new table!

• Reply Katy May 11, 2015 at 8:55 pm

You sound like you need even more of a lie down than me! *dreams of heading to a spa with Mummy Barrow