Family

Frozen At Five

Oh – how I wish he could be!

Yup, somehow I appear to have blinked and my tiny little newborn has turned 5.  How did THAT happen?  It feels like only yesterday I was kissing that little head for the first time, secretly wondering how I was going to juggle two children!  And here we are, 5 years on.

And what a week it’s been!  Things we’ve learnt this week…

1.  Britain can get COLD.

2.  January is a LONG month.  Or at least it feels like it.

3. Parents get STRESSED about parties. Yeah, like, SERIOUSLY stressed!

Let’s not talk about the Invoice-Gate story, but I hope BOTH parents are still on the naughty step! But the outpouring of opinion, both in the media and on social platforms, served to illustrate just what hot potatoes children’s parties have become!  And in the week that saw much of the country covered in white stuff and asking “Do You Wanna Build A Snowman“, I felt it appropriate to throw a Frozen party!

My problem is that Kaya’s birthday is in the summer so we can be in the garden. This year I threw Kayafest for her 8th which was brilliant, but exhausting.

When Akira’s 5th birthday came around, I knew things had to be different since I was in my crazy build up to starting on Heart so if I didn’t get help, he’d be sobbing into a solitary sausage roll – with a lonely candle in it for good measure!

Then, a fairy godmother beamed down in the shape of Ellie at Button’s Parties, asking if she could take a bit of the heat out of my life?  “Yes” I replied “Love is an Open Door” baby, come on in.  *resists more song titles

Ellie sounded gorgeous on the phone and if I could have kissed her down the line, I would have done.  She just needed an idea of numbers and a rough idea of theme and she was away.  She and her team have done parties for everyone and entertained thousands of kids so I knew she’d have it under control.  Ellie took care of most of the party dressing and did a brilliant job turning the Village Hall into a 5 year olds dream!

tableI’d chosen a hall since I didn’t want my house trashed there would be more room to run around and Ellie and I set about covering everything in sight with snowflakes, blue and white.  There were lights projecting onto the ceiling and she converted one end of the hall into a central focal point.

roomOn my agenda were the goody bags, food and cake.  I say cake – I mean the best Frozen cake you’ve ever seen, courtesy of the wonderful Kate at Dolce Lusso Cakes.  Kate is a friend of mine.  She’s also a supremely talented and when I asked if she fancied a challenge she set about designing and creating the most stunning Frozen cake ever!  Aside from the figures – which I added – EVERYTHING was edible.  I know.  Blows my mind – especially given that I struggle even with Betty Crocker’s help!  Elsa’s ice castle was the icing on the cake.  No really, it WAS made of icing and the detail was outstanding.  Kate even put lights inside and her incredible attention to detail and passion for what she does meant she was almost as excited as Akira!

cakeEllie is also passionate about what she does and you can have the basic entertainment package, or the whole lot done if you need it? She kept 18 busy 5 year olds entertained for 2 hours with bubbles, games, magic (Akira still tells everyone she can do “actual” magic) dancing and even made balloons while they were having their food!  I have some AMAZING pictures and memories of all the kids that day.  Akira had the biggest smile on his face.

partyWith a background in children’s entertainment and event management, Ellie is the perfect person to work as a party planner!   And with a background in children’s TV myself, I realised years ago that it takes a LOT to impress me as a kids entertainer since I’m pretty good!

ellieThanks Ellie for making such a spectacular party – for all of us!  It was lovely to be able to sit back a bit for once and she even gave ME a goody bag at the end!

I must be the first post-party-parent not to be found rocking back and forth in a darkened room!  That’s gotta be a “First Time In Forever“, right?! *hides

• Reply Kate Holmes February 8, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Sanity is getting help when you need it on all fronts.
    Looks like a lovely “do”
    Time really does fly by so fast. Actually heard myself saying “Do you think we should talk to C about condoms?” after he said “Mum, if I said she was more than a friend …” Eek!
    You enjoy these innocent days

• Reply Candace January 30, 2015 at 3:30 am

Happy Birthday Akira. Time really flies by and in a blink of an eye they are all grown up & independent. The cake looks amazing, as do the decorations. Your friends are very talented.

Agree that it’s so less stressful hiring someone to help out with your child’s party. Hiring somewhere too takes away the stress of mishaps around your home.

• Reply Katy January 30, 2015 at 12:11 pm

I know! Time is going WAY too fast for my liking! x

• Reply Andrea January 29, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I’m just starting planning a Frozen party for Sophie’s 4th birthday in May, so I’ve been looking at lots of Frozen themed parties – this looks brilliant, glad Akira had a great time 🙂

• Reply Katy January 30, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Ah – thanks! We all did. Good luck with yours! x

• Reply otilia January 29, 2015 at 6:25 pm

i have a spring baby and a winter baby and its not easy at all. we have to have a venue all the time and we figure out at home is never a good idea. Looks like Akira had a great time so it was definitely worth it. Happy belated birthday to Akira and her wonderful mummy

• Reply Katy January 30, 2015 at 12:10 pm

SO with you on the home front! Not enough room + Danger of trashing = VENUE! xx

• Reply Jenny January 29, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Looks like a fabulous party!
    I held a ‘Frozen’ party for my daughter’s 5th Birthday in August. I planned all sorts of themed games and activities but by far everyone’s favourites were: ‘Do you want to build a snowman? ‘ which involved wrapping up 3 of the grownups in toilet paper and then sticking hats, scarves and carrot noses on them and then the ‘snow ball’ fight using said toilet paper! Brilliant fun. 🙂

• Reply Katy January 29, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Ah – LOVE that! My kids always love that game. Good thinking! xx

• Reply Annwen January 29, 2015 at 11:26 am

Looks fantastic, I bet Akira had an amazing time. Agreed that winter birthdays are definitely much more difficult!

I’m currently in the final throws of organising a Frozen party for my daughters 4th Birthday this Saturday. The hours spent cutting out snowflakes, creating pass the parcels, wrapping party gifts for all the friends, worrying about snow and everything else that goes with creating a party will hopefully be worth it. I’ll definitely be in need of a large glass of wine afterwards though!

• Reply Katy January 29, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Ooh but imagine how amazing it will actually be if it DOES snow! Just a bit perfect for a Frozen party! And you can make a mean Olaf with white marshmallows and cocktail sticks! #just-sayin’ x

• Reply Annwen January 29, 2015 at 4:01 pm

We have plenty of snow we could do with it melting though so everyone can get there! Love the olaf plan, might have to add marshmallows to the shopping list!

• Reply Katy January 29, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Do it, do it! And good luck with the weather. We just had snow here! x

• Reply Mummy Barrow January 29, 2015 at 11:21 am

I adore Ellie. She is just such a gem but part of me wants to keep her a secret so that she is always there for us. I am wondering if Bruce wants a Frozen party for his 50th in May because this party looks like such a laugh.

So pleased Akira had an amazing day. And oh that cake, my goodness, how gorgeous?

• Reply Katy January 29, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Me too! She’s fab. And you’re right – Let’s never tell anyone about Ellie. Ever! *worried face

• Reply Vicky@Acupcakemum January 29, 2015 at 11:07 am

I tip my hat to you to know when to bring in help, children’s parties can be a nightmare and being from the side which organises kids cupcake parties and does the party planning, I know this all too well. My first ever cupcake party I organised for 20 children ended up with purple frosting up my newly painted walls and all of the children running around hyper from all the sugar consumed. I think the parents had more fun than the kids to be honest! Now Nath is older, parties are outside the home and I also leave it to someone else to organise, it makes it so much more fun for everyone if you are not stressed.
    Looks like a great party, and the cake is amazing!

• Reply Katy January 29, 2015 at 11:15 am

I’m with you! Outdoors is SO much easier! And yeah – I find it really hard to accept help, but sometimes you just have to bring in the professionals! x