Family Travel

Winter Wonderland

Winter-Wonderland-713,medium.1404823843

Hear THAT my friend?

It’s the *KLAXON* that sounds the start of our festive season every year because – Winter Wonderland is officially OPEN! *starts getting stupidly excited about Christmas!

We’ve been lucky enough to be invited to the Opening Night in London’s Hyde Park every year since festivities started and it’s a real highlight of our calendar.  The kids spend an excited day at school, we whisk them home to get them changed and throw food in their direction (!) then it’s off to London for an evening of family fun.  And I have to say, this year is the best year yet.

The park is now open until 4th January, from 10 am to 10 pm, so lots of time to enjoy the magic!  And last night, we got to experience it for ourselves.

fairThe excitement always starts as we approach Hyde Park.  We live in Oxfordshire so it’s a drive into town but when the kids see the lights starting to appear through the trees, it makes the “are we nearly there yet” journey worth it!

So what are the highlights?  For me, the biggest highlight doesn’t cost a penny!

MARKETANGELS MARKET is stunning.  It reminds me of the German Christmas markets I used to see on TV as a kid. Lots of stalls selling gorgeous Christmas decorations, chocolate fountains with marshmallows & strawberries, mulled wine, snow & loads of atmosphere!  Beautifully lit, it makes a perfect entrance to Winter Wonderland, and a chance to start the sugar rush!

CIRCUSThis year, Winter Wonderland is truly bigger and better than ever before.  The fair is more classic feeling (which I LOVE) with rides for all ages – everything from a  “double decker” carousel and classic favourites to the highest rides I think I’ve ever seen anywhere in the world!

The kids were mesmerised by ZIPPOS CIRCUS in the Megadome – the newest and biggest circus tent in the UK.  There’s also a GIANT FERRIS WHEEL, MAGICAL ICE KINGDOM – the list is endless but as we only had a few hours we didn’t even come close to doing everything we wanted and we’ll definitely need to re-visit.

Ending the evening ICE SKATING was magical!  I always find skating a bit of a “deep dig” as a parent – all that faffing about with boots, checking bags into the cloakroom, soggy socks – but it was MAGICAL. Skating around with my little brood, under twinkling lights, was a highlight of my season so far and I’m not sure it will be beaten!  I *might* have even had something in my eye.

Totally recommend the place for family fun.  Going late afternoon is best, so you get the magic of the lights. And be sure to book in advance. Last year we didn’t book and it took 45 minutes just to get through the main gates!  So book the skating, or one of the big attractions, then do everything else after!

We left exhausted, sticky-handed from candy floss and glowing in the knowledge that the countdown to Christmas is officially on!

What We Wore:

Me:      Jacket – Mint Velvet / Gilet – ASOS / Jeans – Next

Kaya:   Dress – Scotch & Soda / Leggings – Scotch & Soda / Coat – Next / Boots – Next

KAYA

Akira: Coat – Scotch & Soda / Jeans – Scotch & Soda / Sweatshirt – Scotch & Soda / Boots – Next

AKIRA

• Reply Franglaise Mummy November 28, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Winter Wonderland, we don’t skate when we go, but we do dodgems and various rides and we all have a ball and feel christmassy. Just the best! Gorgeous family pic of the four of you 🙂 xx
    (We might have a cup or two of mulled wine too…..!)

• Reply Katy November 29, 2014 at 11:11 am

Ah – can’t beat a bit of mulled wine! Randonly, we were so intent on the kids having a good time, we didn’t actually have any! x

• Reply Honest Mum November 24, 2014 at 7:57 pm

It looks so much fun and the perfect way to feel festive! Your kids are utterly gorgeous!

• Reply Katy November 26, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Ah – thanks lady! It was a fun evening! *dreams of mulled wine

• Reply Michelle twin mum November 22, 2014 at 10:06 am

Looks like a magical Christmas time, I saw the family ice skating pic on your FB and was jealous. I also adore Akira’s boots, so cool! Mich x

• Reply Katy November 22, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Thanks lady! So hard to find cool bits for boys – so I figured he could have a bit of glitter too! 😉 x

• Reply Emma November 21, 2014 at 7:35 pm

That does indeed look like the German Christmas markets, but on a much larger scale! Ours start next week, they are getting ready for them as we speak. The only thing I don’t like about them in Bavaria is that they all close up on Christmas Eve which is all a bit sad! Sounds like a great night out, and I LOVE that coat! 🙂 x

• Reply Katy November 22, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Ooh – but at least you get the traditional kind! x

• Reply otilia November 21, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I am so going to miss Winter Wonderland and it’s atmosphere this year again! Love the girls boots 🙂 Might get hubby to buy some for my girls

• Reply Katy November 22, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I love a bit of bling on boots! The grey ones are actually for my son Akira – but I figure, why should girls always have all the bling fun! He looks like a little rock star in them! x

• Reply Boo Roo and Tigger Too November 21, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I really want to book tickets for this, I saw it advertised last year but this year looks amazing. I really love the family photo on the ice – beautiful

• Reply Katy November 22, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Ooh – it IS lots of fun! I recommend the skating. Don’t worry with the circus 😉 x

• Reply Clare Goldsack November 21, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I’ve never been but I will have to change that this year, it looks lovely and I’m a sucker for all things Christmas. I suspect I’ll have something in my eye too ;). Loving your outfits particularly Kaya’s coat. Beautiful family photo of you all on the ice. Xx

• Reply Katy November 21, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Thanks lady! Family photos are always the toughest, but it was SO much fun on the ice! x