Family

True Heroes of Hero Day?

Yes my friend –

If you have a child in primary school, Hero Day belongs to YOU & ME baby!  *collapses

A casual little note came home from school on Monday evening, saying the school would be taking part in Hero Day for Children in Need and the children could dress up as their favourite hero.  Just an innocent little note I happened to find in a school bag and BOOM – parental panic was on!  Oh, and of course it coincided with one of my busiest weeks ever – working every day, out every night. Good times!

My kids love superheroes – they watch Superhero Squad and could tell you all the superheroes and their powers, but dressing up as superheroes has never been on their agenda.  So do we have any superhero costumes in this house?  No my friend.  We don’t.

Just as I was thinking of tying flags around their shoulders for a cape (we did this to support when Trey ran the marathon last year and the kids loved it!) I thought, what if we were a DIFFERENT kind of hero?  Kaya and I talked through options of amazing women – Florence Nightingale (bit worthy?), Amelia Earhart – even Jessica Ennis who Kaya idolised during the Olympics?  And then it came to be – Boudica!  Kaya was beyond excited!

We’re a bit low on costumes in our house at the moment, they’re all a bit snug so unless they wanted to go as a Wise Man (from Akira’s nativity 2 years ago!) or Pumpkin I was a bit stuffed.  I could have found the bits at home but, since she was so excited I  decided to get Kaya an early Christmas present and found a great Horrible Histories Boudica costume online and pimped it up with a sword and shield we had at home (always gotta do a bit of pimping!).

I also realised this was the week that the charity shoe boxes were due in!  Argh!  They’ve been on my mind for the last few weeks, but of course I hadn’t done anything about it.  So I had to dash to my local Clarks one night after work – in the rain – and beg them to give me two shoe boxes!  And have you ever tried to wrap a shoe box and make it look nice?!

Akira wasn’t so into the dressing up idea.  He wanted to wear his uniform, but I didn’t want him to be the odd one out or opt out.  These days are massively stressful for parents and kids alike but I do think it’s key to teach your kid that taking part is important.

The ONLY assembly I remember from my school years – 5 to 18 – was one at secondary school where the presenting class sat on chairs in front  of the 1500 strong school and did nothing for a full 20 minutes.  NOTHING!

Then at the end of the assembly, they stood up and explained the assembly was to prove:

“If you don’t put anything into life, you don’t get anything out of it”!

So taking part is key in this house and I was disappointed this morning to see a few kids in uniform.  I know it can be stressful, but I don’t think opting out of fun for charity is the right message? It doesn’t need to cost money – they could wear something they’re into? Riding gear = Olympic Rider?  Footie Gear =  Favourite Footballer? Normal Clothes and their initial on their front?  Their OWN superhero!  Just chatting to friends on Facebook last night, I could see how divided people are on the topic! It’s a hot potato!

Not-so-sure Akira has gone off in his joggers and a top with “Part Time Superhero” written on it I recently got in H & M (phew!).  A gesture, but important to me that he joined in and handed in his pound!   LOVING the teachers who were also dressed up and fully entering into the spirit of things!

Yes, the true heroes of today are the adults who have made it happen – parents and teachers who:

• Have cobbled together costumes their kids would be happy in
  • Have added to their busy week to make it a fun day, raising for charity
  • Have encouraged nervous participants
  • Have negotiated the tricky path of finding an outfit where their kid wouldn’t feel awkward if they have different interests to their peers

Kaya tried her Boudica costume on last night and refused to take it off.  When I kissed her goodnight, I whispered “Goodnight Boudica” and the smile on her face made this entire, insane week worthwhile.

K  x

*passes coffee gin to all involved

P1060132

• Reply Mummy Barrow November 15, 2014 at 6:32 pm

You Rock

The End

• Reply Aly November 15, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I think if a survey went out to all parents asking if they wanted to continue having dress up days, most would say no.I’m divided really, I like the idea as long as I get plenty of notice, a few days is too short for any mum.The one we liked the most was for World Book Day a couple of years ago where all the kids and teachers came as Where’s Wally or Wanda.That was such a surreal scene seeing everyone on the way to school and in the playground.

• Reply Katy November 16, 2014 at 1:34 pm

AGREED! Three days notice was no good for anyone and no time to borrow anything from friends really. We loved World Book Day too! Kaya went as the queen out of BFG – easy and fun! But it’s also such a minefield. I love uniforms because they, well, unify everyone! Just glad we don’t live in the states where there’s generally no uniform. That would break me!

• Reply Clare Goldsack November 14, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Ah the joys of dress up day! Thankfully my two have always loved it and I’m a fan too. Interestingly, I’ve found it’s the boys who aren’t so keen so not surprised Akira is a little reluctant. My two both have non uniform day today so have gone dressed in their favourite gear. They have fun and all for a good cause 🙂 x

• Reply Katy November 14, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Ah – mine are buzzing! I’ll be peeling her out of her Boudica costume tonight! x

• Reply @bigsexymumma November 14, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Thank you for being so honest about the realities of motherhood! The finding of school newsletters right at the last minute, and cobbling together the quickest superhero costume in Wonderwoman speed! There was an awful lot of children at my daughters junior school who didn’t dress up, but why? Our school asked for superheroes or pj heroes, so why is that so difficult to pull off? Don’t kids have any onesies at home they could wear, just for one day, and for something as in your face as Children In Need? It beggars belief. Bet if they needed help from said charity, they would be quick off the mark! Rant over, thank you again Katy x

• Reply Katy November 14, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I know. I know lots of mums feel under huge pressure and I’m glad I’m at a lovely school without the crazy peer pressure of mums who spend AGES on costumes! That’s not what it’s about at all, and I know some kids genuinely don’t like dressing up. But I do passionately believe it’s about joining in – to whatever degree. x

• Reply Kate Takes 5 (@KateTakes5) November 14, 2014 at 1:10 pm

That is so lovely Katy and oh my – how gorgeous is your Kaya! I have to put my hand up here and admit *whispers* I don’t know who Boudica is… I know, I know! It’s the second time this week I’ve heard her mentioned though so I’m off to do a bit of googling.

• Reply Katy November 14, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Haha! All you need to know is she didn’t like Romans much and was BADASS! 😉 She even has a statue in London of her in her chariot. She had swords coming out of the side of each wheel! x

• Reply Liz Burton November 14, 2014 at 11:57 am

*stamps foot* We’re not doing super-hero day at our school – not fair!

I know I probably moan as much as the next mum about last minute costume demands, but I agree with you, what kind of message does it send our kids if we don’t make at least a token effort?

Boudica looks awesome BTW too x

• Reply Katy November 14, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I’m with you. Even a token doesn’t take that much. But I’m going to sleep VERY well tonight I can tell you! x