Katy Loves...

Baby Love!

Meet Lucy.  The love of my early life.

My wonderful Grandparents gave her to me, my Grandma knitted all her clothes and that was it, love at first sight.  She was by my side for pretty much my entire childhood and resembles a blonde Hamble from the 70’s kids fave Play School.  Or so I’ve been told!  *innocent face

My Grandad even made her a “4 poster bed” out of a hostess trolley since the accessories are so much a part of “baby play”.  It was honestly the most beautiful 4 poster I had ever seen. Ah –  how I WISH I still had it!

The 4 poster may be long gone (I too can be guilty of taking my kids bits to the charity shop a bit too early so let’s all learn from this!) but I DID save Lucy all this time.  Even smelling her blonde locks and plastic head transports me back to my childhood. I cherished her, thinking my own children would love her as much as I did.  And so, a year ago, after a worthy pre-amble, I produced her with a flourish and waited for their excitement.

And they LAUGHED.  A lot!

Seriously, what’s not to love about her Angela Rippon hair and faded lips?  Her hair plugs and hard limbs?  She even featured in Akira’s Show & Tell at school the other day as they were talking about “old fashioned toys”.   Charming!

Since Lucy was centre stage in my own childhood, I love it when I see my two playing with dolls.  I got Kaya a Baby Annabell doll “from Akira” when he was born so she a) thought he was pretty ace as a baby brother and b) had something to play on when I was doing everything with “the new baby”.

And wow, have dolls changed since my day!

ANNABELL1

Step forward the latest Baby Annabell which, as I’ve been chosen to be the brand “Mumbassador” for Christmas (*proud face) we were asked to test.  She ROCKS!  No –  literally, she does!  Rocking is the new element to her design for 2014 and boy, is it a great new addition!  If you rock her from side to side in your arms she falls asleep, just like a real baby.  Don’t know about you but for me “the rock” became such a part of my life as a mum with a baby, I’d often catch myself “rocking” in the supermarket aisles when I wasn’t even holding my baby.  And yes, I still occasionally do it now!  Give any kid a doll and chances are, they’ll rock it in their arms. Finally a doll that responds to that.  Stuff of dreams baby!

This baby also drinks water from a bottle and cries real tears (a HUGE hit in my house!) and her crying sounds are realistic – of the gentle crying sounds a baby can make at least, not the all out “feed me NOW” sounds we all grow to know!  Future budding parents will be thrilled to discover they just have to gently stroke her cheeks or pat her on the back and she calms down.  She also makes sweet sleeping noises and comes with extra goodies – bottle, bib, dummy and heart shaped pendant.

ACCESSORIES

This doll is gorgeous. In traditional baby fashion she’s sporting a frilly velour romper suit with the classic sheep design on the front.  But my favourite thing about her is how she FEELS – soft and cuddly and none of that “mechanical” feel so often associated with dolls that can “do”.  Yes, I *might* have given her the occasional cuddle and pat on the velour bottom – just to keep that broodiness at bay!  All her padding ensures this doll feels like a regular baby doll  – meaning that if your child wants the mechanics turned off (simply done with a switch on her back) she’s a regular doll.  And yet this creation could never truly be described as regular, she’s so much more!

As a busy mum of two, what I love most about her is her responsiveness.  She does everything she’s supposed to do, when she’s supposed to do it and I for one am grateful for that.  Having something that actually DOES what it says on the packet is refreshing!   Credit to the folks at Zapf Creation for putting the time into her design and testing to make sure there will be smiles all round on Christmas day.

CRADLEThere are some cute new accessories you can get for her too – like the Rocking Cradle & Nightlight.  I love it’s shabby chic design and vintage look and the way it can rock this Baby Annabell to sleep.  I found it easy and quick to assemble – which would mean maximum enjoyment for your kids on Christmas Day, minimum fuss for you!  It also plays lullabies and has a cool nightlight which projects onto the bedding.  Crucially, it looks great so you don’t have to compromise on style adding it to your home which, let’s be honest, is also important.

My favourite thing of all?  I love what this doll does to bring out my kids nurturing side.  Long may it continue!  This Baby Annabell looks set to be my kids “Lucy”!  As for the original lady herself?  Safely stored for posterity of course and, apparently, the odd giggle!

The science:

Baby Annabell RRP £49.99

Rocking Cradle & Nightlight RRP £45.99

• Reply Honest Mum November 3, 2014 at 9:44 am

Hilarious first doll-Angela Rippon mini me, you need to send her this post! My Mum found all my old barbies and Sindy’s as they’re renovating and the boys found them hysterical, especially naked!

• Reply Katy November 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Love that! I totally forgot about Sindy. I was in the Sindy camp. Not a Barbie fan! xx

• Reply Claire LazyGirl Blog October 31, 2014 at 10:21 am

I too can sympathise with the children taking in stuff as “old toys” as my own teddy (a Mothercare 80s one I was given after birth in 1982), plus a VHS of a Take That concert from ’93, a 7 inch single (they were baffled by that one) and an Atari game were all pinched for the same project last year. Charming.
    Mini absolutely loves Annabell and I can see why, I would have been desperate for one at the same age as they’re pretty impressive, we have the high chair too from this range and its always being used for dollies. (Oh and for dolly clothes, well newborn stuff from jumble sales is great for pocket money prices).

• Reply Katy November 3, 2014 at 4:49 pm

We do that for clothes too! Annabell actually wears some of Kaya’s old clothes! x

• Reply Annie October 30, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Oh my yes, totes seeing the Angela Rippon ressemblance of Lucy. It’s comforting to see that over the years baby dolls have started to look more like babies and less like adult news presenters 🙂
    I’ve not bought a baby doll before – though I do know a 50 year old who walks one in a buggy each week, she never did get over her eldest leaving for Uni… (actual fact there!)

• Reply Katy October 31, 2014 at 7:51 am

Oh my goodness – I fear that will be ME with the pram! And ah – how we loved those random dolls! x

• Reply Siobhan October 30, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Love this post I’ve an old teddy which I’ve kept since I was tiny now my daughters five and seven love it too.I too have stopped clearing keep everything as they always go back to them and nice to see.two baby Annabel’s on Santas list!lovely dolls for a little girl.

• Reply Katy October 31, 2014 at 7:49 am

You’re so right! Mine ALWAYS come back to things! Sometimes I have to spent ages pretending to look when I know full well it’s gone to charity already! :-/ x

• Reply Emma October 30, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Awww, my girls love their baby Annabel, although one has sadly stopped talking after taking a nasty fall off a swing. I’ve been looking for a replacement and this looks perfect.

I had several cabbage patch dolls when I was little, which I threw away a few years ago because they smelled a little. I wish now I’d spent the time cleaning them up for my girls, who are in a real doll loving stage at the moment.

• Reply Katy October 31, 2014 at 7:48 am

Ah – I know – I often regret getting rid of things! But sometimes a clear out is liberating! xx

• Reply Franglaise Mummy October 30, 2014 at 4:58 pm

My childhood doll was also a Tiny Tears which disappeared many moons ago. However my eldest was a MASSIVE Baby Annabell fan and we have 3 of them, now she’s approaching 8 she’s not so into them, but step up her baby sister who, at nearly 2, is now as mad about the “bébé” as her big sister was. Fab dolls – love them 🙂

• Reply Katy October 30, 2014 at 9:17 pm

LOVE that they’re being passed down! You know you can NEVER get rid of them now. Ever! OR – you could put one away now for your oldests memory box, so the youngest doesn’t have that one! Then one of the other ones can be “hers”! #just-sayin’ 😉 x

• Reply Trish - Mum's Gone to October 30, 2014 at 2:14 pm

My childhood doll was a Tiny Tears but had a similar face to Lucy. I’m amazed yours looks so good – mine was drawn on by my brother and had her hair chopped off. Don’t tell anyone but I was more of a teddy girl!

My cousin’s little girl is called Annabel. I wonder if her mum has bought her namesake yet?

• Reply Katy October 30, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Oh my goodness – the PERFECT namesake you’re right! And I’m with you – amazed Lucy isn’t covered in pen! Especially as she’s now 21! 😉 x

• Reply Clare Goldsack October 30, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Ah that brings back memories of my Tiny Tears. I loved her. My Aunt bought her for me and she knitted some lovely clothes and crocheted a blanket. I still have the blanket but not Tiny Tears who I threw away after Dad cleared out his loft. Regret that 🙁 Bit disappointed my two girls were never really interested in baby dolls, they preferred Barbie and toy cars! Good luck with your new project xx

• Reply Katy October 30, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Avoiding the B word in this house – so far anyway! Ah – I love a good clear out too but I’ve slowed down a bit with the kids bits now I know how much I miss stuff! Xx

• Reply Sonya Cisco October 30, 2014 at 9:14 am

I loved Hamble when I was little and dreamt of owning a doll just like her – but saw some pics recently and she was frankly demonic looking – Lucy is much prettier! My daughter had a Zapf doll when she was small and loved it – they are far more tactile than the solid plastic things we had aren’t they – tho I did love my Tiny Tears very much! xx

• Reply Katy October 30, 2014 at 9:21 am

Haha! She WAS! You’re far too kind on Lucy I feel 😉 And yes – my 7 year old self would have COMBUSTED had I seen the amazing dolls of today xx

• Reply Nell@PigeonPairandMe October 30, 2014 at 8:59 am

On our last trip back to my childhood home in Wales, my Mum unearthed my old doll, who was strikingly similar to yours (Hamble – now THERE’s a blast from the past!). My little Gwen loves her, especially because she’s wearing a set of clothes hand-knitted by an old woman (sadly now passed away) who used to live down the road from us. Annabell does look lovely though. Imaginative play is so important for kids – my two are forever playing ‘Mummies and Daddies’, and putting together tea parties for their huge brood of ‘children’!

• Reply Katy October 30, 2014 at 9:20 am

That’s too sweet! Yeah, mine end up with HUGE tea parties too! Makes me twitch to see the number of kids! xx