Travel

Voyage of Discovery

Front row at London Fashion Weekisn’t the only coveted seat this week!  To be honest, when the lovely people at Cruise International asked me if I fancied giving out some gongs at their annual Cruise Awards 2014, I had no idea what a lovely lunchtime was in store.

Having dropped the kids at school (BOTH kids – did I mention Akira started school?!) I headed home and, after a transformation from “School-Run” to “Daytime Awards Show” worthy of Wonder Woman, I headed for the big smoke.

I only knew 2 people going but acknowledged I’d be hard to miss in my bright orange attire! (Top -H & M, Skirt -Warehouse and Bling Necklace – “Eloise”, Stella & Dot).  The chance to dress up and glug sip champagne in the middle of the day is always welcome!

ROOFGARDEN1And what a day it was!  Stunning blue skies and the backdrop of the gorgeous Roof Gardens in Kensington, complete with it’s mediterranean vibe and flamingos (not kidding) and it was pretty much perfect.  I spent much of my time wondering how I could possibly smuggle out one of the flamingos or STUNNING baby blue (my fave colour) benches!  I’m joking – of course!   Kind of!

Giving out awards is always lots of fun, but I don’t think I’ve ever been at a ceremony where everyone is so welcoming AND genuinely pleased for their peers  (yes – even the competition) when they win.  An added bonus was catching up with some bloggers I know – Penny from A Residence, Becky from English Mum and Editor of Cruise International and blogger Liz Jarvis from The Mum Blog.  Always lovely to catch up with gorgeous women!  One of the highlights of my day was the atmosphere.  Genuine. Warm. Celebratory. A perfect way to spend a September lunchtime.

CRUISE2

An added bonus was meeting Jenni Bond (yes THE Jenni Bond. HRH no less).  It was as much as I could do not to take her to one side and grill her about the Royals!  And the lovely Julie Peasgood who was, indeed, every bit as lovely in person as I’d imagined!  Great to meet french patissier and cooking sensation Eric Lanlard too, who’s cakes were AMAZING!  I didn’t dare tell him I’d bought Kaya’s birthday cake from a supermarket last week! (I know Eric – “Sacre Bleu”!)

Congratulations to all the finalists and winners on the day.  The awards reminded me of how I always loved that Blue Peter was named after a flag raised when a ship left port on a voyage of discovery.  I kind of feel like that’s how my life is as a mum.  I’m always trying to open my families eyes to as much of the world as I possibly can.

Oh – and incase you think the day looked all a bit glam (it was a bit!) I’ll leave you with a bit of self deprecation!  We were challenged to take a #selfie en-route so I tried in my taxi and finally discovered / acknowledged – I’m TERRIBLE at taking selfies.  I either end up a) gurning (always a good look) b) looking unsure/frightened c) doing my “pouting”face (aka duck face) and d) looking like I need the loo.  Secretly proud that in the 4 attempts I took (be honest, who EVER only takes one?!)  I’ve managed to cover ALL those looks!

Good skills!

SELFIE

• Reply Anonymous September 24, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Orange is most definitely the new black. You look stunning! I’m with you on the selfies though… thank god for photo editing! Looks like you had a fab fun afternoon. (Did you curtsy when you met Ms Bond? Think I would have done…) x

• Reply Michelle Reeves (bodfortea) September 24, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Errr… techno fail! I wasn’t trying to be anonymous… honest! x

• Reply Katy September 24, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Haha! I felt like I SHOULD curtsey! She was lots if fun! X

• Reply Sim @ SimsLife.co.uk September 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Love the outfit, you look lovely! Sounds like it was a great day and well done to all the winners and runners up!x

• Reply Katy September 15, 2014 at 8:15 pm

It’s called “refusing to give in to Autumn”! Xx

• Reply Carolin September 13, 2014 at 10:05 pm

You look lovely, Katy and well done to all winners and runner-ups, because let’s face it, everyone who is nominated is a winner x

• Reply Katy September 15, 2014 at 8:13 pm

They WERE! Love how the magazine publishes nominations and winners! Nice touch x

• Reply Tired Mummy of Two September 13, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I am also really bad at taking selfies, It must be a skill that I have not got. Maybe we need a blog conference session on how to take a selfie without looking like a twat?

• Reply Katy September 13, 2014 at 9:52 pm

LIKING that idea! 😉 x

• Reply mummy barrow September 13, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I love this post and seeing the merge of “working Katy” and “mum Katy”.

And I can’t look at Jenni without thinking about the pant situation that is probably going on

• Reply Katy September 13, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Ha! The merge is quite something I can tell you! Like a headless chicken running round the house! And you KNOW next time I’m going to ask Jenni THAT question! SO intrigued! 😉 x

• Reply Nikki Thomas September 13, 2014 at 9:15 am

You do look so gorgeous in that outfit. What a contrast to doing the school run! It sounds like a wonderful event and always lovely to spend time with lovely people and eat cupcakes

• Reply Katy September 13, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I do sometimes chuckle at my yin and yang life – school run to glam and back again in a day! Thanks lady. It’s my fave outfit. I wear it WAY too often but it’s my fave! And I refuse to acknowledge that Autumn is on the way! xx

• Reply Becky Goddard-Hill September 13, 2014 at 8:13 am

ooh I would have wanted to pinch the benches too .
    You look fab in orange Katy and well done Becky and all the finalists x

• Reply Katy September 13, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Next time, we’ll go together Becky! I reckon between us we could get one into the lift! 😉 x

• Reply Cass@frugalfamily September 12, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I think you had me wanting to be there just with the picture of the cupcakes 😉

It sounds like a great day and well done to the lovely English Mum for winning x x

• Reply Katy September 12, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Lovely to give out the blog award! Xx

• Reply otilia September 12, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Quite jealous i might say 🙂 your day sounds like one i would enjoy 🙂 pls can someone hear me out there?

• Reply Katy September 12, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Ah – it was lots of fun x

• Reply Penny Carr September 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Looks like a fab event. And I’m totally with you on Selfies. How does everyone else look so damn good in theirs??? I have a phone full of failed ones!

• Reply Katy September 12, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Haha – me too! I always forget to delete them! x

• Reply English Grandma September 12, 2014 at 4:56 pm

The daughter, and yes, I’m so proud of her, had nothing but praise for you…so friendly, natural and ‘normal’! Thank you, Katie – it was a memorable occasion for our family x

• Reply Katy September 12, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Ah – your girl did good x

• Reply Becky - English Mum September 12, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Awww so lovely to see you – and even lovelier to have my award presented by you. Laughing at the duck faces – I tried the same on the train!! x

• Reply Katy September 12, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Haha! ALWAYS the duck face! Even when I look in the mirror, the kids say “mummy – why are you doing that funny face like a duck”?! x

• Reply Sonya Cisco September 12, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Looks like a fab way to spend the day – I am hopeless at selfies, my teen however is a pro!

• Reply Katy September 12, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Ah – it’s like a sixth sense these teens have! I hope they have to take lots to try and achieve a reasonable one, but I somehow doubt it! 😉 x

• Reply Penny A Residence September 12, 2014 at 2:52 pm

You, as always were a FAB presenter. Lovely to see you and wasn’t it a glorious day! I just did not take enough photos! And you must take a cruise, our kids are similar ages and as Carnival’s #funnestfamily we absolutely LOVED cruising.

• Reply Katy September 12, 2014 at 7:02 pm

It was a GORGEOUS day! And I’m with you on the photo front. I wasn’t even planning to blog, then decided I would and wished I’d taken more pictures! xx

• Reply Clare Goldsack September 12, 2014 at 2:48 pm

It’s such a lovely venue. I was lucky enough to go once when I somehow managed to wangle tickets to a Jason Donavan album launch! Those were the days ;). Ps loving your outfit x

• Reply Katy September 12, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Ah – it’s GORGEOUS Clare! Possibly my fave venue London! Felt like I was in Tuscany x