Katy Loves...

Lord Business of Beds!

Akira stayed in his cot and then his cot-bed for ages, for reasons I talked about here.  I guess I wasn’t ready to face him growing up and yeah, I know, he starts school this year.  My baby is a big boy now. Let’s not go there. *puts fingers in ears, screws eyes shut and chants “la la la” in full denial!

Anyhoo…

When choosing a new bed, we wanted something versatile.  My man has always wanted a high sleeper (man as in the small one, not the one who lies next to me every night – that would just be plain weird!) plus Akira and Kaya DREAM of having bunk beds one day so we were pretty much resigned to getting a temporary bed until he finally decided what kind he wanted.

At the moment his bedroom is an attic room, which means there’s limited ceiling height throughout much of the room.  So a high or mid sleeper isn’t an option unless he moves bedrooms.  But I wasn’t wanting to compromise on quality, nor wanting to buy him a temporary set up.

Then I discovered Room to Grow and when they asked if we wanted to review one of their beds, we said yes faster than you can say flatpack!

trendy midsleeper with tent

The Thuka Trendy bed is endlessly versatile (and currently on sale I notice – happy days!)  The basic bed is a regular single bed with removable sides BUT in a Lego Movie / Lord Business stylee it can grow legs!  So it can transform into a mid-sleeper or a high sleeper or if you had two of the beds, you could fit them together as bunks.  Simples!  And genius!   And perfect for my changing environments and kid’s changing desires.

The bed comes in two options – pine and white wash.  I went for the whiter option since it matched his existing soft furnishings better – more on that later.  We also got a tunnel and side panel for books.

BEDSIt came flatpacked and delivery was quick.  It took about an hour to put it together and I like that it has screw covers, to look neat.  We got the tunnel in light blue and were meant to screw directly into the bed frame which had no screw holes but I couldn’t bring myself to do it so we used zip ties, which seemed to work fine. And thank goodness that was my choice since Akira quickly decided he was actually “too grown up” for the tunnel!

IB_S_BASIC_COPYRIGHT =

It’s supremely solid, which you don’t often find with flatpack furniture.  With nightmares and bed-swaps, both myself at 5 ft 8 and Trey at 6 ft 1 have slept in the bed on separate occasions and, with the mattress delivered at the same time, so the whole set up is super comfy.

The white goes pretty well with Akira’s Light of the Moon theme he’s had since birth.  I know!  Time for a change, but which theme to go with?  His interests seem to change from Jake & The Neverland Pirates  to Superheroes to Space with the weather, so once he’s stuck with the same desire for a month, I’ll be there – pimping the rest of his room.  Meantime, he’s quite happy with his first ever soft furnishings, rocking his “Transformer Bed” as he calls it.

Oh no – ANOTHER option! *facepalm

• Reply Kate Davis August 24, 2014 at 11:03 am

We are having ongoing discussions about beds at the moment. My daughter has the the older version of that midrise better with furniture underneath as it was the only way we could fit my son’s cot in the room when he arrived. M is now approaching 3 and is still in his cot, although with the side off. They have a larger room in our new house so we don’t need to use midrise beds but I don’t think he’ll accept anything without a ladder. So our dilemma is whether to buy him the same bed as his sister, get her a high rise bed as she she keeps asking for bunk bed.

I’m off to look at the Room to Grow website.

• Reply Katy August 25, 2014 at 12:53 pm

The taller ones and ladders are ALWAYS a big hit! I think versatility is key! Good luck! Happy surfing! x

• Reply Sarah laybourne August 22, 2014 at 11:33 pm

I am currently looking for a bed for my little boy who is four. As he is in quite a small room I love the idea of this as he doesn’t lose floor space. Thank you. The tricky part now is to get the hubby to part with his credit card 😉 x

• Reply Katy August 23, 2014 at 4:54 am

You mean your joint credit card for your joint son, surely?! 😉 Good luck! X

• Reply Michelle at Bod for tea August 21, 2014 at 7:25 am

Well now of course there’s no way that Curly Girl is going to be moving out of her cot bed or doing any of that growing up stuff any time soon *puts heavy books on her head* BUT if she was to need a new single bed, you know at some point in the FAR future, this looks like a fab option 😉

• Reply Katy August 21, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Ha! Maybe when she heads to Uni? 😉 xx

• Reply Aly August 21, 2014 at 7:06 am

I had wanted bunk beds with my girls so there would be more space in their room, but it would mean arguments for the next few years.I really like the idea of having extra bits to add on as they grow, it’s worth the extra money outlay in the first place I think.

• Reply Katy August 21, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Ooh – high sleepers might be the way forward – then you don’t lose any floor space? x

• Reply Penny Carr August 21, 2014 at 6:41 am

Cool bed. I’m putting off the pain of having to make the transition to big bed. LMC starts school full time in a few weeks, but she’s more than happy still be be sleeping in her cot bed. I keep asking her if she wants a “big girl bed” and she says no – and that suits me. Both emotionally and financially. Sadly I fear that status won’t stay for ever.

• Reply Katy August 21, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Ooh – lucky you! That’s fab if she’s still happy! I just got to the point it didn’t look so comfy anymore 🙁 Stick as long as you can! xx

• Reply Boo Roo and Tigger Too August 20, 2014 at 4:48 pm

We are in the process of looking at beds for Tigger, having such a small room I need versatility and you might have just given me the answer (thank you). Let’s not get started on the bedding options…

• Reply Katy August 21, 2014 at 12:19 am

Yay! Hope it’s useful! The versatility is a BIG hit in my house! x

• Reply Sonya Cisco August 20, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Ooh that looks fab, Syd is almost ready to move up from his cot bed and I love how this has sides to stop the inevitable falling out!

• Reply Katy August 21, 2014 at 12:19 am

LOVE the sides too! With Kaya I put on temporary sides which looked really ugly! This is a much better option for me! 😉 x

• Reply Donna @ Little Lilypad Co August 20, 2014 at 11:31 am

My other half mentioned getting rid of the little ones cot bed so I totally feel your pain. They are not allowed to grow up *stamps feet*

This however looks totally cool ….. do they do them for grown ups??

• Reply Katy August 21, 2014 at 12:18 am

I wish they did! I’d be all over them! xx